PRESS RELEASE ON THE NERC ORDER ON UNAUTHORISED ACCESS, METER TAMPERING AND BY-PASS
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has issued an ORDER ON UNAUTHORISED ACCESS, METER TAMPERING AND BY-PASS.
The order stipulates the charges applicable as it relates to the cost of reconnection onto the EKEDP network after disconnection due to unauthorized access.
Customers disconnected for unauthorized access (i.e. self-reconnection, meter tampering and bypass and so on) will have to pay the corresponding reconnection cost for their meter category.
Find below the schedule of the charges.
1. ADMINISTRATIVE CHARGES:
CUSTOMER CLASS ADMINISTRATIVE CHARGES (N)
1. Single Phase Residential 1,500
2. Three Phase Residential 3,000
3. Single Phase Commercial 3,000
4. Three Phase Commercial 6,000
5. MD LV Residential 7,500
6. MD HT Residential 7,500
7. MD LV Commercial/Industrial 7,500
8. MD HT Commercial/Industrial 15,000
2. RECONNECTION COST:
RECONNECTION CHARGES FOR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS
CUSTOMER CLASS INITIAL INCIDENT(N) SUBSEQUENT INCIDENTS (N)
1. Single Phase Residential 50,000 75,000
2. Three Phase Residential 100,000 150,000
3. Single Phase Commercial 50,000 75,000
4. Three Phase Commercial 100,000 100,000
5. MD Meters 300% of the last 450% of the last
authorized recorded monthly consumption authorized recorded monthly consumption
Please note that a customer disconnected for unauthorized access is liable to pay a total reconnection cost equals
(a) + (b) + (c):
a. Loss of Revenue for the unauthorized consumption by
paying back bills
b. Administrative charges as shown in (1)
c. Reconnection charges as shown in (2)